Sunday 2 November 2014

Lauder XC 2014





It was a beautiful day for the 1st meet of the Borders XC series at Lauder. Despite having been down this road a million times we got lost on the way. The roundabout at Sherriffhall was unhelpful signage-wise, maybe we shouldn't have been there, we ended up going via Dalkeith. I think Hugh in the back probably knew the way but it being his first time in the Berlingo didn't like to shout over the two of us shouting at each other. I thought I wasn't going to race but I was getting a lot of old familiar sensations, like finding it really difficult not to speed, despite us being in plenty of time.

There are soooooo many familiar and friendly faces and the sun was out. What's not to like? Half way into the race, running along the top of a hill in the sunshine I was having peak experiences. I nearly transcended myself. Looking at my heart rate I realised I probably was in danger of transcending myself, but I felt okay, it's amazing how a race makes you dig a little deeper without noticing.

By the time it was over I was glad it was over. Bring on the next one, that was great...

No comments: