Saturday 31 January 2015

Humble Beginnings













I was busy all last weekend with hardly any time for running (had to get up at 5am on a Sunday to get one in!) and my nod at swimming was going into the chill waters of Portobello on Sunday night with Peter; an event that had the flavour of a crime somehow, despite no laws being broken, dog-walkers looked at us narrowly and I was glad no-one tried to intervene...

So today Peter was off to some Master's XC stuff and I thought I'd go a longer run in East Lothian - maybe a 16 miler to kick off the marathon training. I tried to ignore the coldness of the wind and a certain lack of enthusiasm for it all. Maybe it would change once I got going. I went to NB and set off from there - an age old strategy to do the stretch into the (stiff, icy) breeze on the road and get it over with as quickly as possible, having it behind for the more exposed and longer stretch back on the beach. My legs were stiff from the outset and I was a bit bored, which is a bad sign. You need plenty of enthusiasm for a day like today....

I stopped at Gullane, 4 miles into my run, for a black coffee, in a now flagrant attempt to find some va-va-voom...and I enjoyed it. Real coffee gives me a rush these days. It was bright and bracing out there on the veldt...oh well, down from Gullane Golf Course I mean...it's just you wouldn't be surprised to see lions and giraffes and maybe zebras in the grasses on the marsh. Well I wouldn't. I'm probably mixing up my continents. Salamanders and crocodiles and alligators and congor eels and echidna and penguins. Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. You know.

Getting round the headland and back near Gullane I just knew I was going to cut it short. My marathon schedule doesn't even say I should be running 16 miles anyway. It says I should be running like 12 or something! Anyway!

So I ran back by the road and that took long enough.

No comments: