Saturday 5 August 2017

Super skies Saturday



Imagine my surprise when I looked out the window this morning and saw Papa Lazarou looking back at me. Surely an omen, but what of? It's never a good idea to question the fates too closely so we went down the road to Gullane instead.

As we arrived the skies opened so we took shelter for a while so as not to start the run off wet. While we were chatting in a doorway we saw this this Shield Bug making his way along a railing.


Setting out along the JMW back to the Aberlady Nature Reserve it started to rain again and we stood under a tree for a while with Peter bemoaning that the butterflies would all be drowned.



But he needn't have worried. It soon cleared up.






Round at what has become known as "toad corner" we stopped for a hunt about in the undergrowth. I made a rather lack-lustre effort, more interested in the big skies rolling overhead.


But while I was standing idling a peacock butterfly landed on a nearby flower and flapped its wings at me. I took about a million pictures but here are just a couple.








Peter was away lost in the undergrowth for ages and I think discovered a treasure trove of bugs and beasties. Eventually I put my foot down and said I was going, ready or not, and wasn't waiting for him. Reluctantly he followed along behind.





When we arrived at the beach there was a large dark cloud over Fife, and it slowly made its way over to us.









We stood our ground for as long as we dared but then high-tailed it the last mile back to the van before the rain hit in earnest.



No comments: